Thursday, July 27, 2006

Maravilla Bakery and Confectioneries; AAUN First Class Student Project

It was gonna be fun. So held the opinion of some students. I was really wondering what fun it was, running a business. It wasn't going to be the first time of runing a business. The businees was really not totally devoid of fun any way because the business plan presentation was really interesting.

I was in group 14 and our business plan was to have a super store and sell provissional items as well as snacks for the AAUN community. I decided that we name our business JOFA. C. which was the initials of our first name: Justice, Omorx, Farouq, Abu and Chuckwononso, but some members siad it was kinda
too weak and suggested De-Bean. So, we accepted and did made our presentation. The Grill and Maravilla were the best ideas and got chosen. So every other group were disolved and its members attached to one of these two groups. I was, do I say lucky (not at all actually or maybe - still thinking) to be in the bread group (Maravilla Bakery and Confectionaries).

In the following week, the executives were elected. I thought hard whether to contest or not. I eventually contested on making up my mind to do so, basically because I like participating actively in any activity (school and student led). Although I had the premonition that it was somewhat not going to be that easy, I never realize that it would be that very very difficulty for a student project especially as we lack experience in the field.

I proceeded into action after being elected as the V.p. of marketing together with Aishat Ramalan who got the same voting points as I did. We had seven students who volunteered to work in my department. We allocated positions
to everyone and then formed our organisation chart. Then we designed the questionaira for the market research, since publicity was in my department and made estimate of everything we would need and forward it to the finiance department. Soon, our company got registered with the corporate affairs unit of the ministry of commerce and we went into action.

I'm afraid I'm not going to give you the details of Maravilla Company here. Maybe in another Post. But believe me that the course consumed more than the required 9 hours a week for most students especially for key officers like myself and in fact, I had to dedicate myself to the business when I found that it was going to sink into problems. I did this, however, because I had dropped all my courses and deffered my studentship.

But I must say that the maravilla company really enabled me to learn a lot. I was able to learn how a business operate, how to take and delegate
resposibility, make market research (primary) know why business fail, make effective power point presentation, how market forces (dd and ss) and competors affect a business.

me, fueling the oven with gas (i.e. diesel)

Some say I spent too much time in the company and would not imagine why I should when I dont benefit anything. Well, that's true but you should believe that at times, the foolishness can be a great wisdom.
At the end of the semester, there was an award nite, held in memory of the four business. Here is a short video click of the pictures of that day.

No comments: