Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Pagan in the Church

I did mentioned in my last post that I was going to tell you the reason I went to church on the first of July and why I would again continue to go, at least before school resumes. Right now, I’m really bored here in Yola. This gets worst on Saturdays and Sundays when the school library does not open and so I don’t go to school to read. You know it sucks when you don’t have anything to entertain you while you are alone in the hut in which you live and on stepping out of the room the faces you meet can’t interact with you because they are speak Hausa which for now, I still can’t understand clearly (really ashamed of this). But don’t think you too can’t be a victim of this if you can’t speak Fulani because this is the Indigenous Language of the people here. So, many a time, they miss up this language with Hausa which makes it more difficult for a learner of Hausa. Of course you now see why, no matter what your level of paganism is, you would definitely oblige the invitation of a friend to church especially if you like social life like me. This was one of the reasons I went to church last week. During the church service, I was ambivalent whether to come again in the following Sunday or manage the little boredom that characterizes my weekends at home. The preaching was full of trite stories heard from my pre-teenage days; irrational stories of old and how we must be godly to make heaven, how Abraham was faith to God and God said he would have the same number of children as the number of stars in the sky, etc. I however did love the music; the acoustic combination was really great. I loved the way I was welcomed (song, hand shake with almost every member of the church and an offer of a bottle of Soft drink after the service) and the manner in which every one welcomed the other. I latter learnt that this was a tradition and I did know at once that it was peculiar to that church alone. This is because in all the years in which I had been “church halorting” I never found this. I probably love the beautiful faces of the girls that sat around me ( Any way, I did promise to keep my post short. So, I would stop here now.

No comments: