Sunday, August 20, 2006

Poor Communication Skills yet a Communication Major

I am bad in communication (though good at writing) yet majoring in Communications. This sounds really odd. I remember how bad I spoke during the last board meeting of our maravilla company. Instead of mentioning the things we learnt during the semester, such as ability to meet deadlines, fulfilling a task, delegating responsibilities, making market research, giving good presentation, etc., I was talking nonsense which I can even remember now. I know I'm very poor at effective public speaking but during this holiday, I've decided to work on my communications skills. Here are some question that I need to ask myself to see if I can really speak well.

Do I communicate the right message to the right person at the right time?

Do I think carefully about a message before I decide how to communicate it?

Do I project self-confidence and speak confidently?

Do I welcome feedback about my communication?

Do I listen intently and check I have understood before I reply?

Do I try to exclude personal prejudices of all kinds when judging others?

Am I constructive and civil when I meet others?

Do I take time to give people the information they need and want?

Do I use one-to-one meetings for reviews of performance and coaching?

Do I question people to find out what they think and how they are getting on?

Do I hand out written briefs that give all pertinent information on a task?

Do I use professional phone techniques to improve my communication?

Do I communicate via all available electronic media?


I know of somebody who can certainly say yes to all these. All first class AAUN students know that our former dean of students, Barry Morris can say yes to all these questions if he asks himself. I have decided to follow his style of speaking. He is a true exemplary Charisma I have come across.

No comments: